标记
         因我们是人
         要亲眼看见并揭示一切真相

但这河仍是个谜
         正像世界上许多的谜
         在我们的能力之外
         因我们只是人
         未曾创造这河 或别的河

注:在美国弗吉尼亚州的自然桥州立公园里,有一条地下河,只闻其声,不见其流,被称为“迷失的河”。过去二百年,人们数次冒着生命危险,探测、凿洞、标记,试图发现这地下河的河床、起源、终点,但至今这些仍是谜。

I could hardly put down the journal Poetry Hall Issue 2 when I caught sight of the elegant and grand cover design. It turned out that Bai Shuihe was the artist of the oil painting used for the cover. I was even more amazed when I flipped through its pages and saw the poem The Lost River she wrote. Here is the complete quote of the poem:

The Lost River

Text/Bai Shuihe

A river is lost –
      Nowhere to be found, or rather unwilling to be

It manifests itself only in sound, but that’s far from enough
      So, we search for it
      Dig for it
      And make marks here and there
      Because we are humans
      Who like to uncover truth and see it with our naked eyes

But this river remains a mystery
      Like many others in the world
      Because we don’t have the ability to uncover them
      We are only humans
      Not the creator of this river nor of others

*In Natural Bridge State Park, Virginia, there is a underground river called “The Lost River”. In the past 200 years, several unsuccessful attempts were made to locate the underground channels of the Lost River. But all the efforts have failed to determine the source and final destination of this river.

(Note: The above poem was translated by its writer Bai Shuihe)

这首诗是为在美国弗吉尼亚州的自然桥州立公园里的一条只闻其声,不见其身的地下河发声。人们叫她“迷失的河”。

作者用拟人的手法,说这条河走失了。我们找不到她了。或许她不愿被找到。

为何她走了,却留下了不走的声音。这就很有故事,很吸引人了。

This poem was written to make known the invisible but hearable river (named “The Lost River”) running underground in the Natural Bridge State Park in Virginia.

Using what is called the personification rhetoric device, the poet tells us that she (the river) is lost, nowhere to found, or perhaps, unwilling to be found.

Since she is gone, why does she then leave behind herself the running sound? This is where the poetic story gets interesting and appealing.

接着作者又说“只给我们水声?这远远不够”。这句很有力度。说出了人类要探寻源由的渴望。“我们探测 / 挖掘 / 标记 / 因我们是人 / 要亲眼看见并揭示一切真相”。

想知道河的前世,这是人的好奇心所致。但探寻了200多年,这条“迷失的河”,至今,仍然是个谜。

这个谜,使作者自然联想到世界上存在的许多谜。

The poet continues “It manifests itself only in sound, but that’s far from enough.” This line is powerful since it reveals the human eagerness for the exploration of the source. “So, we search for it / Dig for it / And make marks here and there / We do so because we are humans / Who like to uncover truth and see it with our naked eyes.”

It is simply man’s curiosity that entices us to dig out its past, but despite the continuous search for the past two hundred years, this “Lost River” remains an enigma.  

This enigma naturally reminds the poet of many other enigmas in the world.

接下来作者又说:“因我们只是人 / 未曾创造这河 或别的河”。

“因我们只是人”,这与前边“因我们是人”仅仅多了一个“只”字,含义就更深刻、有层次,也更客观了。是呀,在自然面前,人的认知能力是太有限了。这世间,我们解释不清的谜,其实是人类对世界认知能力的局限。而人类对自然的探寻即使有进展,往往是发现,而不是发明和创造。

The poet continues, “We are only humans / Not the creator of this river nor of others.”

This line “we are only humans” differs from the similar line in the previous paragraph “we are humans” in just one word -- “only,” but more depth and layers and objectivity are thus added. Yes, confronted by nature, human cognitive ability is very limited. The very fact that we fail to explain something in this world indicates that the human cognitive ability of the world is indeed limited. Even if we make progress in the exploration of nature, it is just a discovery at most, not invention or creation.

作者用第一人称叙述的方法,不动声色地自问自猜自悟,让读者也身临其中,和作者一起感叹大自然的神奇,一起感叹人力的有限与无奈。读罢,一下就触动了心弦。

这条“迷失的河”我们看不见,它却真实地以潺潺流水声存在着。这让我联想到这世间看得见的,往往可能是假像,而真正存在的东西,可能是看不见的。而看不见的才是真正存在的。这就很有哲思了。

Using first-person narration, without noticeable effort by self- questioning, self-reasoning, and self-answering, the poet puts her readers on the site to feel and admire the nature with her. I was immediately touched when done reading the poem.

Although we can’t see the “Lost River,” it manifests itself by its gurgling sound. This reminds me that things discernible in this world could very well be fake, while true nature could very well be indiscernible. This is where philosophy lies.

我不知道作者所寄托的寓意。能让我如此感叹和联想,这就说明,此诗有足够的空间让读者自己思考,这是好诗要给读者更多空间的道理所在。我觉得这首小诗很耐人寻味。

I do not want to be arbitrary in telling you what theme the poet’s implies, but the fact of what can remind me of the above shows that this poem has given readers enough room to ponder. And this is where the secret of a good poem lies. I think this little poem is very strong in after taste.

读《迷失的河》(双语)

原刊于汉英双语诗刊《诗殿堂》2019年第一期(总第三期)

http://poetryh.com/Journals/Poetry Journal-003.htm

分享:

冰花 06-15-2019 17:58
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4a6b7d2c0102yhaz.html

查看完整版本: [-- 读《迷失的河》(双语) --] [-- top --]